Working at Thinking Machines
Thinking Machines is a technology consultancy building AI & data platforms to solve high impact problems for our clients. Our vision is for Southeast Asia to become a global hub for data science. To do that, we create data cultures one organization at a time.
We’re a company made up of intellectually curious, civic-minded, forever-learning individuals. We believe that great data science products are built with care for people, and that the best way to drive inclusive innovation is to start with a diverse team.
Our field of work is incredibly dynamic, so we want to work with people who are committed to growing with us. We want to hire people who can demonstrate an ability to learn, then provide them with personalized coaching, growth opportunities, and a great working environment to get them to world-class.
As a technology consultancy, we strongly believe that our success is driven by building deep and ongoing relationships with our customers. As part of an entrepreneurial team in this rapidly growing business, Relationships Managers serve as the face of TM in these contacts.
Relationship Managers co-develop a data roadmap and break down the series of data projects matched with our technology services that will prepare the client for what’s next for their business and meet their long term strategic goals, in consideration of their current data maturity.
They do this through developing a deep understanding of the client – from their goals and aspirations, strategic growth plans, business drivers, data maturity, data and technology infrastructure, organizational structure and changes, innovation efforts and experiments, to business and operational processes.
Relationship Managers understand the critical role of good relationships with stakeholders in the success of a project. As owners of the loyalty phase in the client relationship journey, they are motivated by customer service and satisfaction.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Maintain and grow existing B2B relationships. Conduct and organize regular business reviews with the client. Develop new vertical and horizontal relationships within the organization and find opportunities to upsell and cross sell TM services. Find ways to address customer requests and complaints to maintain high client satisfaction.
- Owner of all administrative processes related to client management: Oversee and drive the accomplishment of legal agreements and client requirements that cover multiple projects of varying size and duration (e.g. vendor accreditation, data sharing agreements, master services agreement, project contracts, retainer agreements).
- Help our internal teams in navigating corresponding processes and people on the client side (e.g. legal, finance, procurement, security). Build our knowledge on the client’s ways of working so that we can execute steps faster every iteration.
- Become a CRM power user and champion. Collect and archive knowledge about a client through our CRM Tool and support it in becoming a one-stop place for all client information such as stakeholders, business development and project history, business processes.
- Inform TM’s business strategy by knowing the data and business needs of our key accounts individually and collectively in the industry and market
- Work with our Growth Business Operations Team to forecast revenue and resource needs to develop a healthy pipeline, and our Business Development Teams to reduce the business development lead time for your accounts
- Lead sales process with new leads. Including qualifying leads, discovery, and managing proposal writing process, and ensure deals are closed in a timely fashion.
- Work with partners. Be a point person for the sales teams of our technology partners to develop joint go-to-market strategies for our industry solutions.
Thinking Machines has doubled in size over the last 2 years; today, we’re now operating in 3 Southeast Asian Cities and serving enterprise clients worldwide. The Relationship Management Team is a new team in TM created to support this growth. We’re looking for people who would embrace the challenge of defining and shaping the role, building a team, and discovering how to work effectively with other business units in TM. If you can embrace this challenge, are excited to design systems from the ground up, and have a knack for strategy and execution, we think you’d be a great fit!
A Relationship Manager Role can prepare you for a future career as a Chief Sales Officer or VP for Business Development. At Thinking Machines, this role is in the unique intersection of business and technology:
- Exposure to the Southeast Asia market and technology players. See how the regional ecosystem, composed of large data firms, start-ups, conglomerates and small to medium enterprises, government and development sectors, is shaping up in terms of Data Transformation and Artificial intelligence. We serve a broad range of industries spanning across telecommunications, financial services, healthcare, retail and transportation.
- Opportunity to hone your business and stakeholder management skills. Technology-related decisions are never made in isolation, as they affect both business and technical stakeholders as well as the broader community. You'll sharpen your executive presence and negotiation skills by working with individuals with business and IT backgrounds and of varying levels of seniority. You can expect to develop your business skills from working with our roster of Data Strategy Consultants and Enterprise Sales Engineers.
- Opportunity to develop your Technical Knowledge. You will have several opportunities to understand major and up-and-coming players in the technology space. Learn from our internal teams on the innovations in Artificial Intelligence, Data Visualization, Data and Software Engineering, and UX/UI Design. There are technologies you will not use hands-on, but you can expect to gain a conceptual understanding of these technological possibilities and limitations to properly match them with client needs.
- Opportunity to hone your strategic thinking on technology consulting. Through the combination of business and technical knowledge, you will learn how to develop data roadmap and strategy for our clients.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in B2B client engagement or client relationship management role: We have a number of open Relationship Manager roles catering for different levels of seniority. We encourage anyone to apply that has experience in client facing roles (e.g. sales, business development, account management, client / partner relationship management, project management).
- Business sense: Business knowledge is a key skill. You need a strong understanding of different business models, processes and industries to effectively identify the value of how our services can support our clients.
- Comfortable with external, executive communications: Your main job will be to communicate Thinking Machines' suite of products and services to a business-minded audience, so you'll need executive-level spoken and written communication skills. You also need to be comfortable and confident in communicating to a C-suite audience.
- Open communication skills: We're a fast-moving team that relies on each other for ideas and double-checking. We appreciate tactfully opinionated people.
- Quick learning agility and strong initiative. You're not expected to know everything, but we expect you to fill in the gaps quickly, with guidance from our leadership team. We want someone who is highly collaborative with an entrepreneurial, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude.
- Enjoys building and sharing knowledge with the team. Discover ways for us as a technology consultancy to grow our collective knowledge in the client and industry.
Preferred qualifications / nice-to-haves
- Have previous experience at a professional services firm or a fast-growing tech startup
- Have domain experience in a non-data field. Are you experienced in Telecommunications? Airlines? E-commerce? Finance? Development Sector? We value having a wide range of career experiences.
- Experience using a Client Relationship Management (CRM) Tool
- Coding experience is not required for this role. It can be a good entry point to break in the data science field through leaning on your business or domain expertise.
Benefits and Perks
We offer the following compensation and benefits:
Competitive salary — the compensation amount is positively correlated with the difficulty of the job, relevant experience, fit, and skill factors.
Fully remote — due to the global pandemic, we have shifted to a fully remote company for the foreseeable future while we monitor the situation.
Individual professional development budget— an annual budget for conferences, training courses, books, and software is available to sharpen your skills and build new ones to help you grow in your role.
Full health benefits — generous health insurance package