Working at Thinking Machines
Thinking Machines is a technology consultancy building AI & data platforms to solve high-impact problems for our clients. Our vision is for Southeast Asia to become a global hub for data science. To do that, we create data cultures, one organization at a time.
We’re a company made up of intellectually curious, civic-minded, forever-learning individuals. We believe that great data science products are built with care for people, and that the best way to drive inclusive innovation is to start with a diverse team.
Our field of work is incredibly dynamic, so we want to work with people who are committed to growing with us. We want to hire people who can demonstrate an ability to learn, then provide them with personalized coaching, growth opportunities, and a great working environment to get them to world-class.
As a Business Intelligence Analyst, you will be working closely with clients coming from different industries to process, analyze, and visualize data that will enable them to make smarter and informed decisions. The responsibilities of a Business Intelligence analyst can be categorized into 6 Key Areas:
- Understand: Establish a good understanding of the client’s data by exploring its features, researching about their industry, and compiling the knowledge into well-written documentation.
- Collaborate: Engage with other teams within or outside the company in planning and developing end-to-end data solutions.
- Process: Prepare the data for analysis through data transformation, cleaning, and enrichment using tools like SQL, Python, Sheets, and Excel.
- Analyze: Explore the data to find patterns and discover insights that will enable clients to do informed decision-making.
- Visualize: Design and develop charts and interactive dashboards that would make the information accessible to the clients.
- Communicate: Share the development process and highlight insights by creating decks, writing reports and other documentation, and presenting them to the clients.
If you’re a quantitative and critical thinker, a self-motivated learner, and the type of person who gets excited about using data and design to promote informed decision-making, then we highly encourage you to apply!
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Proficiency in speaking, writing, and comprehending the Thai language.
- An appetite for discovery and learning - You may work with clients across different industries and with data you’ve never encountered before. You need to be comfortable diving into a client’s domain and asking the right questions to understand and make sense of the data.
- Problem-solving capabilities and analytical skills - Each dataset presents its own unique set of problems. You need to be up for the challenge and create solutions that would help set up and prepare the data to address the client’s business problems.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills - Data doesn’t speak for itself. You need to ensure that the insights and other technical concepts are understood by the right people, via both verbal and written form.
- Great adaptability and high tolerance for ambiguity - Unexpected things can happen during the project that would impact how you work. You need to be open to adopting and adapting along the way.
- Strong sense of ownership and initiative - You may discover gaps and other opportunities for improvement while doing your work. We want someone who can take initiative to own these things or collaborate effectively with the rest of the team to address these opportunities.
Qualifications and competencies
This position requires the following minimum technical skills and experience:
- Experience in any tool or language for data analysis (SQL, Python/Pandas, Excel/Sheets, etc.)
- Experience in one or more data visualization tools (Tableau, Data Studio, Power BI, etc.)
- Knowledge of Data Visualization and Design Principles
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated proficiency in both verbal and written communication
High preference for candidates that have:
- Experience working with data warehousing and ETL tools (BigQuery, Snowflake, dbt, Dataform, etc.)
- Experience in UX/UI design for web applications
- Experience with managing stakeholders and handling client communication
- Ability to breakdown complex insights and communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated strong business acumen and the ability to translate insights into actionable recommendations
Benefits and Perks
We offer the following compensation and benefits:
Competitive salary — the compensation amount is positively correlated with the difficulty of the job, relevant experience, fit, and skill factors.
Fully remote — due to the global pandemic, we have shifted to a fully remote company for the foreseeable future while we monitor the situation.
Individual professional development budget— an annual budget for conferences, training courses, books, and software is available to sharpen your skills and build new ones to help you grow in your role.
Full health benefits — generous health insurance package upon hiring.
Regular 1:1 meetings with the leadership team to discuss career and personal goals, job progress and any questions and concerns.